Monday, September 6, 2010

Dragon*Con 2010

Click here for all of my photos from Dragon*Con 2010!

Some highlights...

As expected:

Better than expected:
  • The other guys in the BSG panels: the Chief, Romo and Tom Zarek. (Tori? Eh waste of space)
  • Giving blood. Didn't get violently ill! Woo!
  • Walk of Fame lines
  • The nice breeze outside the hotels
  • Taking photos in the Hyatt

Total Fail:
  • Fire Marshall in the Hyatt
  • Line control for the TNG panel at the Sheraton
  • Line management and autograph scheduling for Jim Butcher
  • Actor autograph inflation
  • Registration badge pick up (It's not like DragonCon didn't know how many "pre-registered" people were coming.)
  • MARTA Thursday night (not DC's fault but we were nearly in a brawl and waited over 30 minutes for the train to MOVE. that sucked)
  • Live Astronomy's technical difficulties for the first 45 minutes.

Nice surprise:
  • How hilarious Vork from Watch the Guild is totally unscripted
  • The obvious friendship and shenanigans between Mark Sheppard (Romo) and Aaron Douglas (the Chief) during the BSG panels & my autograph requests
  • The How Stuff Works podcasters & catching Veronica Belmont prior to their panel being generally awesome.
  • The Film Festival. Seriously, how have I been coming here for 10 years and never known how incredible this was?
  • Getting in to the True Blood panel 15 minutes before it started & finding a good seat! Seriously, the Marriott is the best place to see large panels.
  • Catching Bill Corbett's mini skit with Trace Beaulieu

Best costumes:

Serendipitous:
  • Walking behind the guys from TAPS on the way back to the hotel
  • Catching Jay and Silent Bob standing outside a convenience store
  • Spotting Kristin Bauer from True Blood walking in front of the Marriott
  • Not getting hit with the bottles flying out of a 3rd story window of the Hilton
  • Being the last person to make the line up for Jim Butcher's official book signing (he did an unofficial one later that afternoon)
  • Wearing my This is My Bookstick! shirt when walking by a guy carrying that same gun
  • Seeing so many people who love Allie Brosh and Hyperbole and a Half while wearing my Clean All the Things! shirt
  • How many people got and loved the Wesley Crushers! shirts, especially the people in the parade who stopped to say hi. That was awesome.

What I missed:
  • The Star Trek Next Gen panel due to line confusion and tiny room.
  • The BSG Science panel due to the line for Jim Butcher being insane
  • The first True Blood panel due to the typo on the program placing the Dealer Room in the Hyatt :p
  • Seeing the Tong Family :( Too busy this year.
  • Seeing John "Hammerman" in the Walk of Fame. Year 4, I owe you a drink!

Where I'll be next year:

The Minnesota State Fair! Sorry DC, but I live in Minnesota now. Plane tickets are just getting more expensive, room rates are nutty, and you don't seem to be capping the madness any time soon. That was a LOT of freaken people in 4-5 hotels.

What I'll catch in 2012:
UPDATE: for another positive review of Dragon*Con from a fellow historian and fantastic podcaster, read Katie Lambert's review here: http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/09/20/former-sorority-girl-braves-dragoncon-feels-the-love/

3 comments:

The Beans said...

I haven't been to Dragon*Con (although a good friend has tried to convince me to go with him a few times).

Maybe next time!

-Barb the French Bean

Anonymous said...

There will always be a special place in my heart for DragonCon. I am very ready to take a break though with next year. I've also heard PAX and GenCon are great. Read Geek's Dream Girl blog for more of a 1st timer's overwhelmed response to the con: http://geeksdreamgirl.com/2010/09/08/if-youre-anything-like-e-you-will-hate-dragoncon/

Annah said...

I wanna be Hit Girl for Halloween. Got I loved her!