Saturday, May 7, 2011

Stillwater, MN


Graham and I took a 45 minute drive out of town today to see the first town in Minnesota: Stillwater. The weather is finally staying gorgeous enough to spend tons of time outdoors.

The water levels around the bridge are really high, though you could see evidence where they had actually receded somewhat.


The downtown area was super crowded, but we had a lovely lunch at a burger/malt shop. (They had gardenburgers, everyone in my family going "what did you eat?") We explored an antique mall where I will have to take Mom to knowing her love of made-in-occupied-Japan porcelain figures. ;)


After wandering the shops with a cute bookstore with tiny, live birds in an adorable wooden environment and spiffy hat shops, we sojourned out of the town proper only a few miles to see some local parks and cemeteries. The parks were a bust, but we did find a super cute, tiny cemetery right in the middle of suburbia. This is Boutwell Cemetery:


Then we cruised back near downtown to see the Old Courthouse. There was a wedding party finishing up pictures, so I perused the super neat war memorial across the street. A cute kid was playing football, and I got to throw it back to him. Very Americana.


I took lots of pictures around the river and the monuments. Click here to see them all. Such a beautiful day!


No comments: